A project by any other name…
To many business owners and managers, consulting projects appear to be intangible or insubstantial…but I believe a consulting assignment is still a Project…and should be planned and managed like any other business development or construction project.
This means that any substantive consulting project should have:
- Written Objectives,
- A Plan,
- A Budget,
- A Schedule,
- Hard Deliverables, and
- Status and progress reporting.
Because of this philosophy, many of my consulting projects follow a pattern:
Step #1: Project Evaluation and Proposal
- Define Objectives, Schedule, Budget, Client Manager
- Deliver Proposal including project cost, deliverables, review approach
- Obtain Proposal Approval
Step #2: Project Initiation
- Perform research, interviews, data gathering as required
- Prepare project outline or contents
- Prepare initial deliverables
- Client review and approval of initial deliverables
Step #3: Project Development
- Revise previous deliverables
- Prepare next deliverables and submit for Review and Approval
Step #4 Final Step: Project Completion
- Delivery and Approval of Final revised deliverables
Of course, simple consulting assignments may follow an abbreviated approach while complex projects will involve many more steps. But simple or complex, I believe that you should expect a professional, structured approach to your consulting project.
Pricing, Billing, and Terms
- On most projects, I will provide a Fixed Price Proposal, before beginning work.
- “Out of scope” work, requested and approved by the client, is usually billed at a standard hourly rate unless other arrangements are made.
- Occasionally, when a project cannot be well defined prior to starting, I will provide an hourly rate.
- I do not charge for regional travel time; I do charge for meetings and include such charges in my proposals; I do charge for major, client-approved expenses.
- Most projects are billed as follows:
- 1/3 at project initiation
- 1/3 upon delivery of first deliverables
- 1/3 upon delivery of final deliverables
- Larger projects may be billed monthly.
- Invoices are payable upon submission.
- The specific pricing and billing terms for a project will always be defined in the Proposal.
Interested? Call for a FREE consultation and Proposal…
336 552-0548 or